June 29, 2016« Back to Blog
149 Reasons to Love Canada!
Canada turns the big 149 tomorrow, and she’s looking great. To celebrate, here are 149 reasons to love Canada. Have a safe and happy Canada Day, and feel good about the country you call home!
1. Our country is a cultural mosaic that celebrates the cultures and diverse backgrounds of its citizens.
2. Canada’s a great place to live, eh?
3. We produce 80% of the world’s maple syrup! Yum!
4. Poutine (pronounced pou-teen!)
5. The Ryans
6. The Justins
7. Summer skiing… on glaciers!
8. The RCMP
9. The Northern Lights!
10. We changed the lyrics to O Canada to make them gender neutral.
11. We were the 4th country in the world to legalize gay marriage in 2005.
12. The Bay of Fundy has the World’s Highest Tides!
13. Polar bears! Canada is home to over 50% of the species.
14. BC’s Old Growth forests
15. Our Prime Minister loves Pandas.
16. And Star Wars.
17. And jogging with the President of Mexico!
18. Basketball was invented by Canadian James Naismith.
18. And this year the Toronto Raptors made it to the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time!
20. LeBron James himself said our fans are the best!
21. Toronto was named the most diverse city in the world.
22. The CN Tower is really cool and turns different colours based on holidays and events! Happy Pride!
23. People bump into us, and we say sorry.
24. Our amazing comedic actors!
25. Beavers! So cute!
27. Universal healthcare!
28. Joey Bats for us!
29. The Skydome is really cool!
30. Tim Horton’s!
31. Hearing a loon call at a cottage.
32. The beach at Sandbanks Provincial Park, which is basically like going to Mexico.
33. All dressed chips!
34. Ketchup chips!
35. The Rocky Mountains
36. Lots of opportunities for snow angels!
39. If you like snakes, Winnipeg is the Gartner Snake capital of the World!
40. Canada’s Wonderland!
41. The 6ix god himself, Drake.
42. There is a UFO landing pad in St. Paul, Alberta
43. Polar bear dips!
44. Wolverine, the Canadian member of the X-Men!
45. William Shatner
46. Alanis Morisette
47. Celine Dion
48. We have two official languages!
49. We’re the most educated country in the world.
50. Winnie The Pooh is Canadian!
51. 20% of the world’s fresh water is found in Canada.
52. Lake Louise!
54. Old Montreal
55. Hollywood North!
56. Canadian spelling is our favOUrite!
58. Learing French is mandatory in schools.
59. Alex Trebek!
60. Orphan Black!
61. The Trans-Canada highway is the longest in the world. Perfect for road trips!
62. Wasaga beach is the longest fresh water beach in the world.
63. It’s legal to own a micro-pig. But remember, they do grow a bit bigger than you think!
65. The Rideau Canal is the world’s longest at 202km, and you can skate 7.8km of it!
66. The cool flying formation of the Canadian Geese.
67. It’s pop, not soda.
68. The hicks, skids, Christians and hockey players of Letterkenny.
69. Trailer Park Boys!
70. We’re the second largest country in the world, with total area of 9,984,670 km!
71. Ron MacLean is returning to Hockey Night in Canada
72. Don Cherry’s suits.
73. We won gold in the last 2 Winter Olympics in Men’s Ice Hockey, and gold in the last 4 Winter Olympics in Women’s Ice Hockey.
74. The Caesar is our national drink, and was created in Canada.
75. Wayne Gretzky
76. Vancouver’s Stanley Park
77. Casa Loma
79. The Cabot Trail
80. Green Peace
81. Quebec City, which is the only fortified city north of Mexico whose walls still exist.
82. Niagara Falls (everyone knows our side of the falls is better)
84. Anne of Green Gables
85. The Amusement Park at West Edmonton Mall
86. Sleeping Giant
87. Terry Fox
88. Robert Munch
89.50 Inuit words for snow.
90. Dawson City’s Sour Toe Cocktail.
91. Margaret Attwood
92. Midnight Sun in Canada’s north
93.Our country is so big that it has 6 times zones!
94. Montreal bagels!
96. Gander, Newfoundland took in more than 6,600 people after their planes were diverted after the 9/11 attacks. Today, people who were stranded still visit their hosts who offered the ultimate acts of hospitality and kindness.
97. The Canadian Shield
98. It’s green. Canada has 9% of the world’s forests, and 24% of the world’s Boreal forests.
99. Trivial Pursuit is Canadian!
100. The National’s Peter Mansbridge, aka Zootopia’s Peter Moosebridge.
101. Rick Mercer’s rants.
103. Fan Expo Canada!
104. Travelling around the world with a Canadian flag on your backpack because you know people will like you.
105. Prairie skies
106. We have all 4 seasons!
108. This cool commercial:
109. The leader of the NDP did this:
111. Yukon’s wild rivers
112. People in Churchill, Manitoba often leave their cars unlocked in case someone needs to escape a polar bear attack.
113. Santa is Canadian, and all letters from Santa come from Canada.
114. This movie about Being Canadian.
115. David Suzuki
116. Canada has more lakes than the rest of the world’s lakes combined.
117. Loonies and toonies
118. Neil Young
119.Egg cartons were invented in Canada.
120. Chris Hadfield
121. The telephone was invented by Canadian Alexander Graham Bell.
122. Rick Hansen
123. Loblaws – it’s really just a great grocery store.
124. Donovan Bailey
125. There are more than 600 First Nations tribes in Canada and over 60 Aboriginal languages spoken by First Nations people.
126. Our country’s name comes from the St. Lawrence Iroquoian word kanata meaning “village” or “settlement.”
127. Gordon Lightfoot
129. Louis Riel, the founder of Manitoba and Metis leader who fought to preserve the rights and culture of his people.
130.We have a secret underground laboratory in Sudbury dedicated to the study of neutrino and dark matter physics.
132. Tailgating at Argos games.
133. The Cremation of Sam McGee, written by “The Bard of the Yukon,” Robert W. Service
134. Sidney Crosby
135. The Big Nickel
138. Tom Longboat, the long-distance runner who won the Boston Marathon by 4:59 in 1907.
139. Michael Cera
140. Ellen Page
141. 42 National Parks and over one thousand Provincial and Territorial Parks to explore!
142. Jim Carrey
143. Seth Rogen
144.Peterborough, Canada is the canoe capital of the world.
145. 30% of Canada is forest.
146.This year, we introduced a bill that would that would guarantee legal and human rights protection to transgender people.
147. Atanarjuat – The Fast Runner
148. 6 seasons of Mr. D
149. Canada’s 150th birthday is going to be awesome! All National, Provincial and Territorial parks are free for the year!